The Ohio Archives Grants are funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), an arm of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) through their State and National Archival Partnership (SNAP) Grants program. The funded projects include organizing and preserving historical records and cataloging and digitizing records for improved access.
2014 Grant Opportunity
The Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board (OHRAB) announces the availability of grants between $500 and $2,000 to archival institutions to fund projects to preserve and/or provide access to Ohio’s historical records. Proposals must be received by February 28, 2014. Awards will be announced March 21, and projects must be completed by December 31, 2014.
Full details on the grant are available in the application but some highlights include:
• Eligible institutions may be public or private.
• Any size institution may apply, but preference will be given to institutions with permanently valuable archival materials of 500 cubic feet or fewer.
• Eligible projects include those involving physical access, arrangement, and description; preservation (including storage materials); and making catalog descriptions of records or digital images of records available on line.
• Eligible expenses include supplies and storage materials, technical equipment, and contracted services.
If you have questions or require a hard copy of the application package, please contact Judith G. Cetina, Ph.D., County Archivist, 2905 Franklin Blvd., Cleveland, OH 44113; 216-443-7262; email@example.com.
2014 Grant Application Materials
The Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board (OHRAB) announces its 2013 grants for archival projects:
- City of Delaware: Council Minutes Scanning Project ($2,000.00)
- Delaware County Historical Society: Delaware County Historical Records Cataloging and Preservation Project ($720.00)
- Fairfield Heritage Association: Fairfield County Records Processing and Cataloging Project ($976.00)
- German Township (Fulton County): Historic German Township Records Processing and Preservation Project ($2,000.00)
- Historical Society of Mount Pleasant: Arrangement and Preservation of Genealogical Records ($954.00)
- Hudson Library and Historical Society: Preserving and Improving Access to Hudson, Ohio Historic Photographs ($1,838.00)
- Mead-Needham Museum: Preservation of Former Lima Township’s Records ($724.00)
- Shaker Historical Society: Elizabeth Nord Research Library & Archives Map and Stereoview Collections Preservation and Reorganization ($888.00)
- University of Akron: Digitization of the Daniel Guggenheim Airship Institute Technical Reports ($1,980.00)
- Welsh American Heritage Museum: Access and Preservation of Historical Records at the Welsh-American Heritage Museum ($1,967.00)
- Wyandot County Historical Society: Wyandot County Historical Society Photographic Collection Storage Project ($653.00)
The Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board (OHRAB) announces its 2012 grants to 13 institutions for archival projects:
- Ashland University Archives: Vermillion Institute Minute Books Preservation Project ($500.00)
- Baldwin-Wallace College: Baldwin-Wallace College Photograph Organization and Preservation ($2,724.00)
- Clark County Historical Society: Probate Court Rehousing Project ($1,364.00)
- City of Cleveland Heights Landmark Commission: Reorganization of Historic Records Related to Cain Park ($1,500.00)
- University of Dayton: Preservation of the Charles W. Whalen Jr. Congressional Papers ($1,243.00)
- Historical Society of Greenfield, Ohio: Accessing, Organizing, and Preserving Our Historical Collections ($1,835.00)
- Little Cities of Black Diamonds: Improving Access to Historical Records of the Little Cities of Black Diamonds ($2,606.00)
- Malone University Library: Preservation, Description, and Access for the Friends Mission Collection ($1,137.00)
- Massillon Museum: Massillon Museum Archival Preservation and Access Project ($970.00)
- Media Heritage, Inc: Ziv Radio History Archival Storage Project ($1,500.00)
- WACO Historical Society, Inc.: WACO Library Upgrade ($2,250.00)
- Warren County Historical Society: WCHS Digital Archive Project 2012 ($1,750.00)
- Wyandot County Historical Society: Catalogue and Storage of Wyandot County One-Room Schoolhouse Documentation ($621.00)
The Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board (OHRAB) announces its 2011 grants to 10 institutions for archival projects:
- Athens County Historical Society: Preservation of Athens County Probate Court Records ($2,383.00):
- Clark County Historical Society: Probate Court Record Processing Project ($1,520.00)
- Clermont County Office of Technology, Communications, & Security, Records Management Division: Common Pleas Vital Records Project ($2,467.00)
- Cleveland City Council Archives: Providing Access to Demolition Files of Cleveland’s Urban Renewal Program ($2,215.00)
- Cuyahoga Community College: Tri-C Historical Records Preservation Project ($2,000.00)
- Granville Historical Society: Preservation and Access to Historical Government Documents of the Village of Granville, Ohio ($1,000.00)
- Mahoning Valley Historical Society: Digitization of City Planning Negatives ($2,783.00)
- Shaker Heights Public Library: Digital Preservation of Shaker Heights Architectural Records and Creation of an Online Database ($3,500.00)
- Interim Report: Shaker Heights Public Library (2011)
- Final Report: Shaker Heights Public Library (2011)
- “The Shaker Heights Building Card Database” Presentation at Society of Ohio Archivists, May 2012
- Sinclair Community College: Improving Access to Sinclair Community College Archives Historic Records ($2,234.00)
- Union County Records Center and Archives: Reorganization and Preservation of Clerk of Court’s Records ($1,275.00)