Archives Month in Ohio
The Society of Ohio Archivists (SOA) started “Archives Week in Ohio” in 1993, following the example of New York. The first Archives Week, which had a general theme of “Tales from the Archives,” was held during National Library Week, a few days after the 25th anniversary celebration of SOA. Archives Week changed to Archives Month in 2007. Archives, museums, historical societies, libraries, and other organizations with archival and history collections are invited to participate in Archives Month this year by scheduling a special event or exhibit to highlight the collections in your institution.
- To increase the general public’s awareness of archival materials and archival centers
- To focus upon materials in archival centers with broad appeal
- To inspire persons and organizations with records of enduring value to properly preserve those materials for posterity
- To strengthen ties with regular archives users and to introduce new and potential users to archival centers and the documentary heritage there
Theme for 2013: “The Disasters in Ohio”
OhioERC Guidelines: Best Practices for Email Management and Digital Imaging Seminars
The Ohio Electronic Records Committee, in cooperation with the Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board, and with funding by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission offered a series of free seminars based on the OhioERC’s Guidelines for Managing Electronic Mail and Digital Imaging Guidelines. Each 3-hour seminar covered both topics and conclude with a panel discussion with state and local government experts who implemented email management and imaging systems within their offices.
Attendees included state and local government (counties, municipalities, townships, school district, special district) personnel from various professions:
- Records Managers/Archivists
- Information Technology staff
- Elected Officials or their representatives
- Columbus: March 18, 2010 @ the Riffe Building, 31st Floor, South B & C
- Dayton: April 27, 2010 @ the Madison Lakes Conference Center
- Elyria: May 18, 2010 @ the Lorain County Administration Building